Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Julie’s Dos & Don’ts for Destination Brides!



Brent and I spent a year planning our wedding. As a couple, we have become the best at re-doing things... We changed our venue, our wedding date, our bridal party size... I even bought 3 dresses...yes 3!!! I'm surprised he still married me after the crazy bridezilla I was. What can I say - being a photographer has made me crazy obsessed with details! But at the end of the day.... it was magical. And I can't thank the vendors, family, friends, bridesmaids, and my wedding planner enough for making our wedding a dream!

With that said... here are a few recommendations for destination planning!


DO
plan to make a whole weekend of it. We booked a Champagne Sunset Cruise the first night with Sebago Watersports and everyone loved it! The second night we catered in El Siboney Cuban food and had an outdoor party at the B&B. We got to spend personal time with all of our guests.


DON’T expect things to be cheaper especially on an island. I paid 2xs the amount for white resin chairs than I would have paid in Atlanta! (The joke is everyone stood for the ceremony!)
DO hire a wedding planner! Kelly Fowler was my lifesaver. She was able to understand my vision and somehow keep my sanity in check through the whole process. Plus, it’s always good to have someone at your destination that can help. (Kelly also does GA weddings - she lived in Macon and frequently visits ATL!)
DON’T fly your wedding photographer in to your destination the day of the wedding. Fly them in a few days before. I knew this was a big no-no but I wanted my friend Cat to shoot my wedding. Of course her plane was delayed and she barely made it in time for the ceremony. My bad – but she made it in time for the shots that mattered!
DO purchase wedding insurance! They cover backup venues due to rain, emergency photographers (shout-out to Nick Doll Photography for capturing the getting ready part of the day), & any unforeseen costs… something to consider! Saved us $1,200 on our back-up photographer.
DON’T entertain everyone all the time. A destination wedding should be a vacation for everyone. Allow for free time so your guest can see the sites and you & the Fiancé can enjoy some time alone before the big day.
DO find a small hotel or bed & breakfast that can house most of your guests. Having a central hub where everyone can hang out is great! In lieu of welcome bags, we stocked the fridge with drinks and snacks for the entire weekend. Old Town Manor B&B helped us create a home away from home feeling.
DON’T forget to keep all your guests informed. Through our wedding website (The Knot- its free) and E-blasts, we were able to keep our friends and family updated with the current timelines, best places to eat, and the must see Key West Sites.
DO consider one of the favorite local restaurants as the reception venue. We were able to save tons of money not having to pay for wait staff, table rentals, and buffet setup. Croissants De France turned out to be the perfect reception place. And their cakes are amazing!


DON’T stress it! Being a photographer – I spent so much time stressing the details and worrying about the photographs and how our families were going to act the first time they meet. We all know Murphy’s Law - "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".
So relax, have a mimosa, take deep breaths, and just be excited that you are marrying your best friend!

All photos are copyright of Woodland Fields... Thanks Catherine for capturing our magical day!

Stay tuned... I will be blogging all my vendors in the next week or so!

Cheers,


2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Julie! I was given your website by my sister's good friend Kelly. We are getting married in Key West in December and appreciate the advice! I was wondering, where did you get that adorable cartoon picture of Key West that is at the top of this blog entry? I would love something like that to put on welcome bags etc. Your pictures are beautiful, I hope I win the bridal giveaway! Thanks!

Julie Anne said...

Jamie,

I custom ordered the wedding map from http://www.dearcalligraphy.com/. Good Luck planning!